For the first time, South Carolina has a bill to abolish abortion! On Tuesday, State Rep. Jonathan Hill introduced H4046, the South Carolina Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2021. The bill would totally and immediately abolish abortion in the state.
The bill states that it is based on the following findings:
(1) The life of an individual human being begins at conception.
(2) The State of South Carolina has a compelling interest in providing equal protection of the lives of all unborn children within the State from violence.
(3) “The Constitution [of the United States] does not constrain the States’ ability to regulate or even prohibit abortion.” June Med. Servs. v. Russo, 140 S. Ct. 2103, 2149 (2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting).
(4) The members of the General Assembly have solemnly sworn to the best of their abilities to “discharge the duties of our office and preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of this State and of the United States. So help us God.”
(5) Article VI of the United States Constitution states in part: “This United States Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof…shall be the supreme Law of the Land…”
(6) The Tenth Amendment of the United States Constitution states: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”
(7) Though prudence dictates that states should not declare actions of the federal judiciary void for light or indefinite causes, the federal judiciary is not infallible nor are its powers unlimited.
(8) Nothing in the Constitution of the United States provides for any right to take the life of or to inflict harm upon an unborn child.
(9) The concept of the federal judiciary compelling states to allow the practice of taking the life of unborn children runs completely contrary to the text and principles of the Constitution of the United States.
(10) Taking the life of more than sixty-two million unborn children over the last forty-eight years and counting constitutes genocide, and authorizing genocide is not within the legitimate powers of the federal judiciary.
(11) Any action of the federal judiciary that purports to provide a right to kill an unborn child is not made in pursuance of the Constitution of the United States, is not the supreme law of the land, and is not binding upon this State.
H4046 establishes that “The deliberate termination of an unborn child by any means or at any stage of development is murder under Section 16-3-10.” Abortion would be homicide and the protection afforded to our right to life would be extended equally to children in the womb.
Hill’s bill comes with a few new twists for those who have followed and read previous abolition bills.
Like all abolition bills, it states that the abolition of abortion shall be enforced in defiance of any federal violations of the right to life, but then goes further than that in two awesome ways. It establishes that:
- Any South Carolina official or law enforcement officer who cooperates with the federal government to violate the right to life is guilty of a misdemeanor, and
- Any South Carolina judge who violates the right to life of preborn children shall be subject to impeachment in accordance with Article XV of the South Carolina Constitution.
The bill has been assigned to the South Carolina House Judiciary Committee chaired by State Rep. Chris Murphy. Call Murphy at (803) 734-3120 to request a hearing and a ‘Yes’ vote for H4046.
Three things to do!
- Big tech is cracking down on our ability to reach you! Our social media reach has been greatly decreased in recent months. To make sure you are not missing important content and news about abolition bills from Free the States, sign up for email updates!
- Be an activist! Convert people in your community to abolitionism. The best brief resource in the Abolitionist Movement for turning pro-lifers into abolitionists is the Are You An Abolitionist pamphlet. The best quadfold for outreach to pro-aborts and evangelism is the Abortion is Murder And Everybody Knows it quadfold. You can pick up copies from the Free the States store, along with t-shirts, drop cards, stickers, and activism signs!
- Everything we produce is possible because of the support of our donors. Help fund the fight to abolish abortion! Help us add staff and expand our programs by becoming a monthly supporter of Free the States!